9/16/2009

why are we afraid of "i love you"?


facebook is an amazing & baffling place for me. remember bruce, the first boy i ever danced with in high school, who in an early entry i describe a 40+ year old "seed" of kindness (see "my first" high school dance entry). he is going thru a personal challenge and has gathered round his friends & family to ease some of those potholes on his journey.

bruce hadn't heard from me for a long while...what can i say, social networking is hard for me...i know it's necessary for my business, but i'm horrible about keeping up with it...adding friends, keeping my "wall" updated.

we recently got to talking again, going over mutual old friends & aquaintences, talking about everyday silly stuff...and in the middle of it he said he loved me...i thought how nice & didn't think much about it till the next time we spoke...he was concerned that he might have scared me off with that innocent declaration of friendship.

when you're young & in the dating scene...those three little words can be like bullets or roses depending on the situation...BUT i had to think to myself, at our age and what we all have been thru in our lives, the battles & triumphs we all have had, the knowledge of the hard road ahead, those 3 little words have more significance...

a life well-lived will always have regrets, but if we're lucky we'll make time to acknowledge them and to make amends... for bruce to share his "love" briefly with that ackward girl at a high school dance some 40+ years ago to a woman who only really knows him thru that wonderful chance encounter...that innocent declaration of "i love you" is his 40+ year "chip".

i love you too bruce :) ...for the boy i still see in my memory and the man you've become.

1 comment:

Niki said...

Awww. Such a sweet post. It made me smile. Thank you. :)