12/18/2005

Website...what a pain in the butt!


I realized early on that in order for me to have a design based on-line business that I had to realize some limitations. I would love to go out on the circuit, meet my customers, get their immediate feedback, share personal stories one-on-one, but my health and pocketbook won’t allow it.

So how do I get my work out there? Unable to afford the cost of professional photography of my line, as well as the cost of a professionally designed website, I’m doing all the data entry and photos while my husband (between his working hrs.) handles the “hi-tech” duties of connecting all these entries. Luckily, we have a free website space through our phone service. It is restrictive in its templates, but we hope it will be inviting to the public.

If we ever get our website open, the next step is to have business cards printed with our info…maybe postcards with a larger picture of my work and info for a mailing campaign…getting my hands on a “creative” mailing list would be great. I noticed an ad in a national magazine where a rather ingenious artist had a small picture of a beautiful necklace priced reasonably and just her name and email and website info. I checked out her site and found that most of her line was table linens and aprons. She had only a few necklaces, but with that one small and very visually appealing ad, I bet she made her rent and MORE.

If there is anyone out there who is going through this same pain, or has gone through it, I need to know your stories…good or bad. (knock, knock…anyone out there?)

No comments: